UCLA Center for Medieval & Renaissance Studies
Ahmanson Research Fellowships for the Study of Medieval and Renaissance Books and Manuscripts
Application Deadline: March 1, 2018
Ahmanson Research Fellowships for the Study of Medieval and Renaissance Books and Manuscripts support the use of UCLA Library Special Collections’ extensive holdings in medieval and Renaissance manuscripts and printed books. These include the Ahmanson-Murphy Aldine and Early Italian Printing Collections; the Elmer Belt Library of Vinciana; the Orsini Family Papers; the Bourbon del Monte de San Faustino Family Papers; the Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts Collection; the Richard and Mary Rouse Collection of Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts and Early Printed Books; the Medieval and Renaissance Arabic and Persian Medical Manuscripts. The fellowships are awarded on a competitive basis to graduate students and postdoctoral scholars who need to utilize these collections for graduate-level or postdoctoral independent research.
Graduate students or scholars holding a PhD who are engaged in graduate-level, post-doctoral, or independent
research are invited to apply. Recipients will receive a stipend of $2500/month for fellowships lasting up to three months. Those receiving fellowships will be requested to make a presentation for CMRS or Library Special Collections, and at the end of their stay at UCLA will be asked to write a final report on their research and the materials consulted.
If you are awarded an Ahmanson Research Fellowship, CMRS staff members will assist you with these additional requirements:
- Non-UCLA graduate students must apply for a Visiting Graduate Researcher (VGR) appointment and pay the associated fees. Students from other University of California campuses may be able to come to UCLA as Intercampus Exchange Students.
- PhD scholars, including those holding faculty positions at other institutions, must be approved for without-salary visiting academic appointments at UCLA.
- Non-US citizens must secure the proper visa for travel to the U.S.
Please be aware that the UCLA is unable to provide housing for fellows or visiting scholars. Before applying for the fellowship, we recommend that you consider the cost of living in Los Angeles, California.
This award is for fellowships to be taken between July 1, 2018, and June 30, 2019.
The application should include:
- Cover letter
- Curriculum vitae
- Outline of research and special collections to be used (two pages maximum)
- Dates to be spent in residence
- Two letters of recommendation from faculty or other scholars familiar with the research project.
- Application materials may be submitted by e-mail (PDF format preferred) to email@example.com, or by mail to:
UCLA Center for Medieval and Renaissance Studies
Attention: Ahmanson Fellowships
302 Royce Hall
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1485
Source : The Medieval Academy Blog