Australian and New Zealand Association for Medieval and Early Modern Studies Conference
Sydney, 5-8 February 2019
CALL FOR PAPERS
The Australian and New Zealand Association for Medieval and Early Modern Studies (ANZAMEMS) and the organising committee invite proposals for presentations at the Association’s 12th Biennial Conference to be hosted at the University of Sydney from 5-8 February, 2019 https://anzamemsconference2019.wordpress.com/.
The theme for ANZAMEMS 2019 is Categories, Boundaries, Horizons. Categories and boundaries help us to define our fields of knowledge and subjects of inquiry, but can also contain and limit our perspectives. The concept of category emerges etymologically from the experience of speaking in an assembly, a dialogic forum in which new ways of explaining can emerge. Boundaries and horizons are intertwined in their meanings, pointing to the limits of subjectivity, and inviting investigation beyond current understanding into new ways of connecting experience and knowledge. Papers, panels, and streams are invited to explore all aspects of this theme, including, but not limited to:
- the limitations of inherited categorization and definition
- race, gender, class, and dis/ability boundaries and categories
- encounters across boundaries, through material, cultural, and social exchange
- the categorization of the human and animal
- national and religious boundaries and categorization
- the role of interdisciplinary and multidisciplinary research
- temporal boundaries and categories, including questions of periodization
Proposals for papers on all aspects of the medieval and early modern are also welcome.
SUBMITTING A PROPOSAL
Please send proposals to firstname.lastname@example.org
Submissions close on 31 August 2018.
You may submit a proposal for a paper (20 minutes), a session (normally three 20 minute papers) or a strand of sessions (normally limited to four sessions). Individual paper abstracts will be anonymised for peer review.
When submitting a proposal, you will need to include the following information:
• Affiliation (if any)
• Preferred email
• Is this a proposal for a paper/session/strand?
• Is there a day(s) of the conference on which you will NOT be able to give your paper? (The committee will work to accommodate your request.)
• Do you have any audiovisual requirements?
• Paper/Session/Strand Title
• Abstract (up to 300 words)
Abstracts submitted for strands or sessions should indicate the name of the strand or session proposed. Proposals for strands should indicate the number of sessions required.
Strand and session organisers are encouraged to be mindful of the ANZAMEMS Equity and Diversity guidelines which state that “ANZAMEMS’ preference is for diversity among the speakers in an individual session or panel”. For more information on Equity and Diversity at ANZAMEMS, see:
PATS: POSTGRADUATE ADVANCED TRAINING SEMINARS
A PATS will precede the conference on February 4-5, 2019 at the University of Sydney. Details will follow in a separate email inviting expressions of interest from postgraduates and early career researchers.
To keep up to date with full information on the conference including keynote speakers, venue, and registration details please visit https://anzamemsconference2019.wordpress.com/
We look forward to seeing you at ANZAMEMS 2019.