Job Title: British Museum – Getty Paper Project Fellow
Organisation: The British Museum
Salary: £24,792 p.a.
Type: Full-Time Position
Contract: Fixed Term for 18 months
Location: London, England
Closing Date: Wednesday, June 20th, 2018
Job Ref No: 1730539
The British Museum is looking to recruit a Getty Paper Project Fellow with a specialist interest in pre-1900 European drawings. The Fellowship funded by the Getty Foundation will enable the Fellow to work with a curatorial mentor to develop and expand their knowledge and research skills in their specialist geographical or period field of pre-1900 European drawings, as well as to broaden their wider experience of the graphic arts, and curatorship in general, through the experience of being part of a curatorial team looking after one of the world’s largest works on paper collections. During their time in the Museum the Getty Foundation Fellow will be expected to research and improve the cataloguing and provenance history of a part of the Museum’s outstanding collection of c. 60,000 pre-1900 British and European drawings, as well as playing their part in wider curatorial activities and duties of the Department and of the Museum.
Key areas of responsibility:
• To assist in the study and research of the Museum’s Old Master and 19th-century drawings and the Museum’s wider graphic collections.
• To maintain, update and improve the on-line records of the Museum’s graphic holdings.
• To play a full part in everyday departmental administration.
• Other duties as assigned.
With fluent spoken and written English, and a degree in languages, history of art, history or equivalent and reading knowledge of at least one foreign language: German, Dutch, Italian or French. You will have some experience and demonstrable interest in the field of pre-1900 European drawings along with some experience of working in a museum graphic collection. Some previous experience of cataloguing and researching pre-1900 drawings is also highly desirable.
About the British Museum:
Founded in 1753, the British Museum’s remarkable collection spans over two million years of human history and culture. The Museum is one of the UK’s leading visitor attractions with over six million visitors in 2016 and its world-famous collection includes the Rosetta Stone, the Parthenon sculptures, Egyptian mummies, the Admonitions Scroll, and the Amaravati sculptures.
The Museum adheres to the HMG Baseline Personnel Security Standard (BPSS) requirements for all staff at the British Museum.
The Museum is an equal opportunity employer, supports a diverse workplace and offers a competitive benefits package including:
• Membership of the civil service pension scheme
• Free entry to a wide range of museums and exhibitions
• Participation in private and public Museum activities, including talks by leading curators from around the world and behind-the-scenes opportunities to learn how museums care for and manage their extraordinary collections
• Generous annual leave allowance
• Interest-free season ticket loan
• Professional & personal development opportunities
• Employee Assistance Programme
• Discounts on food and gift shop purchases
If you are a positive individual, passionate about the Museum and would like to know more about this exciting opportunity, please visit the website for further information and details on how to apply.
Application deadline: 20 June 2018
Address: Great Russell Street, London, WC1B 3DG, .
Source : British Museum