LECTIO, the KU Leuven Institute for the Study of the Transmission of Texts, Ideas and Images in Antiquity, the Middle Ages and the Renaissance, is committed to advancing the study of the intellectual heritage of pre-modern Europe. It comprises more than 150 researchers from 12 research groups within arts, law, philosophy and theology at KU Leuven. Within the framework of its new research program “Scholars, Schools and Societies”, LECTIO wants to contribute to the renewal of the history of ideas and the science of text editing through increased integration of Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Digital Humanities (DH). LECTIO is looking for a strongly motivated Research Manager at postdoc level to broker this methodological paradigm shift.
The successful candidate will play a seminal role in advancing the integration of DH and AI into traditional research and assists the Director and the Executive Board in the day-to-day management of LECTIO’s activities. (S)He will manage core activities of LECTIO and act as a broker and liaison person with the following responsibilities:
- to perform a needs analysis of projects run by LECTIO members in light of new techniques in the field of DH and AI.
- to inform LECTIO members about good practices and novel methods for the integration of AI and computational methods in traditional scholarship of text editing and the history of ideas, and to assist them in the actual application
- to establish connections between LECTIO and experts in DH/AI both at KU Leuven and other universities
- to act as liaison person with technical experts in the Group of Science and Technology and at the KU Leuven Libraries
- to actively search for and prepare external funding applications linked to the integration of DH/AI in LECTIO’s research
- to identify opportunities for funding applications and assist in acquiring research projects
- to coordinate research projects on LECTIO-related topics.
- to enhance the visibility of LECTIO as place of first choice for the integration of computational methods into pre-modern intellectual history and digital philology
- to assist with the organization of scientific meetings (min. 1 LECTIO conference and 2 LECTIO roundtables per year)
- You hold a PhD degree in any relevant field in the humanities, social sciences, exact sciences or technology and engineering
- You have acquired experience in applying Digital Humanities and/or Artificial Intelligence in the field of pre-modern history of ideas or philology
- Taking initiative and developing new ideas for project applications comes natural to you
- You are a team-player and prosper in an interdisciplinary working environment
- You like to organize events and communicate with both specialists and laymen in the field
- You have a good oral and written command of English and preferably a working knowledge of French, German and Italian
- Knowledge of Greek, Latin or any other ancient language is an asset
We offer a fulltime postdoctoral position of 3 years, subject to positive evaluation at the end of the first year, with a competitive wage according to Salary Scale 44. You will work in the stimulating environment of the interdisciplinary institute LECTIO at one of Europe’s leading research universities. You will have the unique opportunity to work together with experts in the field of intellectual and textual history from 4 different faculties (arts, law, philosophy and theology).
Your appointment will start on 1 September 2020, or as soon as possible thereafter.
For more information please contact Prof. dr. Wim Decock, tel.: +32 16 32 52 39, mail: email@example.com. You can apply for this job no later than June 20, 2020 via the online application tool KU Leuven seeks to foster an environment where all talents can flourish, regardless of gender, age, cultural background, nationality or impairments. If you have any questions relating to accessibility or support, please contact us at diversiteit.HR@kuleuven.be.
Siurce : KULeuven