Department: Department of History
Let’s shape the future – University of Antwerp
The University of Antwerp is a dynamic, forward-thinking, European university. We offer an innovative academic education to more than 20000 students, conduct pioneering scientific research and play an important service-providing role in society. We are one of the largest, most international and most innovative employers in the region. With more than 6000 employees from 100 different countries, we are helping to build tomorrow’s world every day. Through top scientific research, we push back boundaries and set a course for the future – a future that you can help to shape.
The Department of History in the Faculty of Arts has the following part-time (75%) vacancy: principal research (& teaching) fellow in the field of late medieval history
As a principal research fellow, you will be part of the Academic Assistant Staff (Dutch: Assisterend Academisch Personeel, AAP). You will spend at least 55% of your working time on education. In addition, you will actively contribute to academic research (40%) and academic and societal service provision (5%).
- You will teach high-quality academic classes and provide support for the following courses: Middle Ages: politics and institutions (yearly, second semester), Introduction to Historiography (twice, in 2022-3 and 2024-5, second semester), Historical sources per period: Middle Ages (at least once in the three years, first semester) and a Bachelor 3 thesis writing seminar on a topic of your choice (at least once in the three years, both semesters).
- You will carry out high-quality academic research on the history of the later Middle Ages (1200-1500, Europe).
- Your research connects – preferably but not necessarily – with the following project: https://www.uantwerpen.be/en/projects/back-to-the-future/
- You will report on the results of your research and produce academic publications.
- You will assist in ongoing research projects and the activities of the research group.
- You will contribute to attracting national and international research funding.
- You will play an active role in the academic and societal service provision of the Department of History. You will also assist in student recruitment and exam supervision.
- You hold a PhD in medieval history or you will have obtained it by the time you start work.
- Your teaching competences are in line with the University of Antwerp’s educational vision. Relevant teaching experience in the field of medieval history would be an advantage.
- Your research qualities are in line with the faculty and university research policies.
- You are motivated to work actively on your further professional development. In this, you can make use of a wide range of training courses and professionalisation opportunities.
- You act with attention to quality, integrity, creativity and cooperation.
What we offer
- We offer an appointment as a principal research fellow for a period of three years.
- Your gross monthly salary is calculated according to the pay scale for a principal research fellow (Academic Assistant Staff, AAP). If you work part time, your salary is calculated proportionally on the basis of your employment percentage.
- You will receive ecocheques, Internet-connectivity allowance and a bicycle allowance or a full reimbursement of public transport costs for commuting.
- The planned start date is 1 September 2022 or as soon as possible after that date.
- You will do most of your work at the City Campus in a dynamic and stimulating working environment.
- Click here to find out more about working at the University of Antwerp and the related benefits.
Want to apply?
- You can apply for this vacancy through the University of Antwerp’s online job application platform up to and including 23 May 2022 (by midnight Brussels time).. Click on the ‘Apply’ button, complete the online application form and be sure to include the following attachments: a motivation letter and your academic CV.
- The selection committee will review all of the applications as soon as possible after the application deadline. As soon as a decision has been made, we will inform you about the next steps in the selection procedure. Applicants who make it into the second and final round will be asked to give a mock lecture and provide a research note in which they show they can connect with the Back to the Future project.
- If you have any questions about the online application form, please check the frequently asked questions or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have any questions about the job itself, please contact prof. Jeroen Puttevils (email@example.com).
The University of Antwerp received the European Commission’s HR Excellence in Research Award for its HR policy. We are a sustainable, family-friendly organisation which invests in its employees’ growth. We encourage diversity and attach great importance to an inclusive working environment and equal opportunities, regardless of gender identity, disability, race, ethnicity, religion or belief, sexual orientation or age. We encourage people from diverse backgrounds and with diverse characteristics to apply.
Source : University of Antwerp