The Department of History and Art History seeks to appoint a full-time Assistant Professor in Medieval History. Members of the Section Medieval History tend to specialise in early medieval history, in later medieval urban history, or in the history of (written) culture in the Middle Ages generally. We are looking for an Assistant Professor who is willing and able to collaborate in developing at least one of these specialisations.
The successful candidate will have:
- a PhD degree in medieval history;
- the ability to play a role in departmental management and to contribute fully to the academic life of the department;
- a supportive attitude towards colleagues, with an open mind towards creative forms of exchange and cooperation, contributing to the academic life of the department;
- a clear teaching philosophy (to be included in your letter of motivation, briefly outlining in a teaching philosophy statement your teaching beliefs and practices, and the skills and knowledge you bring to an education team;
- an innovative research theme and strategy (outlined in a research statement included in your letter of motivation);
- experience in teaching Medieval Palaeography is a bonus.
Utrecht University has a teaching qualification system for university lecturers, and candidates are required to obtain the Basic Teaching Qualification (BKO) within two years if they are not already in possession of one. Candidates are expected to be proficient in both Dutch and English. Non-Dutch candidates will need to master the Dutch language on an academic level within two years.
The department is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We welcome all employees who contribute to the diversity of our faculty through their unique background and perspective.
Conditions of employment
We offer a position (1.0 FTE), as from 1 August 2022, for a period of one year and after a positive evaluation, the appointment will become permanent. The gross salary – depending on previous qualifications and experience – ranges between €3,821 and €5,230 (scale 11 according to the Collective Labour Agreement Dutch Universities) per month for a full-time employment. Salaries are supplemented with a holiday bonus of 8% and a year-end bonus of 8.3% per year. In addition, Utrecht University offers excellent secondary conditions, including an attractive retirement scheme, (partly paid) parental leave and flexible employment conditions (multiple choice model). For more information: working at Utrecht University.
A better future for everyone. This ambition motivates our scientists in executing their leading research and inspiring teaching. At Utrecht University, the various disciplines collaborate intensively towards major societal themes. Our focus is on Dynamics of Youth, Institutions for Open Societies, Life Sciences and Sustainability.
The Faculty of Humanities has around 6,000 students and 900 staff members. It comprises four knowledge domains: Philosophy and Religious Studies, History and Art History, Media and Culture Studies, and Languages, Literature and Communication. With its research and education in these fields, the faculty aims to contribute to a better understanding of the Netherlands and Europe in a rapidly changing social and cultural context. The enthusiastic and committed colleagues and the excellent amenities in the historical city center of Utrecht, where the faculty is housed, contribute to an inspiring working environment.
Source : Academic Transfer