Beginning in the twelfth century, taxation increasingly became an essential component of medieval society in most parts of Europe. The state-building process and relations between princes and their subject cities or between citizens and their rulers were deeply shaped by fiscal practices. Although medieval taxation has produced many publications over the past decades there remains no synthesis of this important subject.
This volume provides a comprehensive overview on a European scale and suggests new paths of inquiry. It examines the fiscal systems and practices of medieval Europe, including essential themes such as medieval fiscal theory and the power to tax; royal and urban taxation; and Church taxation. It goes on to survey the entire European continent, as well as including comparative chapters on the non-European medieval world, exploring questions on how taxation developed and functioned; what kinds of problems authorities encountered assessing their fiscal power; and the circulation of fiscal cultures and practices across cities and kingdoms. The book also provides a glossary of the most important types of medieval taxes, giving an essential definition of key terms cited in the chapters.
The Routledge Handbook of Public Taxation in Medieval Europe will appeal to a large audience, from seasoned scholars who need a comprehensive synthesis, to students and younger scholars in search of an overview of this critical subject.
Table des matières :
- General introduction (Denis Menjot, Mathieu Caesar, Florent Garnier and Pere Verdés Pijuan)
- The History of Taxation in Medieval Europe: Sources, Historiography and Methods (Denis Menjot, Pere Verdés Pijuan and Mathieu Caesar)
- The Right to Tax and its Justifications (Lydwine Scordia and Florent Garnier)
- Church Taxation (Jordi Morelló Baget)
- Crown of Aragon: Catalonia, Aragon, Valencia and Majorca (Mario Lafuente and Albert Reixach)
- Kingdoms of Castile and Navarre (Pablo Ortego and Iñigo Mugueta)
- Kingdoms of Sicily (Serena Morelli and Alessandro Silvestri)
- Northern Italy: Cities and Regional States (Patrizia Mainoni)
- The Church Lands: a long Term Overhaul (1200-1550) (Armand Jamme)
- Kingdom of France (with Brittany and Dauphiné) (Jean-François Lassalmonie)
- The Burgundian Low Countries (Marc Boone)
- Medieval German Holy Roman Empire (Laurence Buchholzer )
- Provence and Savoy (Michel Hébert and Mathieu Caesar)
- Kingdom of England (Maureen Jurkowski)
- The Scandinavian kingdoms (Thomas Lindkvist)
- Kingdom of Poland and the Grand Duchy of Lithuania (Piotr Guzowski and Urszula Sowina)
- Russia from the Mongol invasion to the death of Ivan the Terrible (1242-1584) (Pierre Gonneau)
- The Byzantine Empire (Anastasia Kontogiannopoulou)
- Muslim Worlds (Ángel Galán Sánchez, Alejandro Garcia Sanjuan and Kate Fleet)
Informations pratiques :
The Routledge Handbook of Public Taxation in Medieval Europe, dir. Denis Menjot, Mathieu Caesar, Florent Garnier et Pere Verdés Pijuan, Londres, Routledge, 2022 ; 1 vol., 512 p. (Routledge History Handbooks). ISBN : 9780367903367. Prix : GBP 190,00.
Source : Routledge