- Last application date: Mar 30, 2016 23:59
- Department: LW03 – Department of History
- Occupancy rate: 100%
- Vacancy Type:Autonomous academic staff
Full-time position as Research Professor in the rank of assistant professor (tenure track), funded by the Special Research Fund (BOF) in the Faculty of Arts & Philosophy.
The Faculty of Arts & Philosophy of Ghent University (Belgium) announces a vacancy for a fulltime professorial post in the rank of assistant professor (tenure track), starting October 1, 2016 at the earliest.
The appointment is in the field of ‘Rural History of pre-industrial Europe’.
An appointment in the rank of lecturer is a tenure track position for a period of five years, at the end of which a tenure decision will be taken, following an evaluation by the university of the personalised objectives agreed upon at the time of the appointment.
The new academic staff member will be granted the privilege of focusing primarily on research for a period of 5 years, with a teaching assignment limited to a maximum average of 8 ECTS per semester over a period of 3 years. Stipulated working time assigned to research, teaching and service may be changed by the university after this period.
At Ghent University, career advancement in the rank of lecturer and associate professor is subject to periodic assessment on the basis of agreed personalised objectives.
- candidates are required to hold a PhD with a doctoral thesis in the field of history, or an equivalent thereof;
- candidates should have at least two years of postdoctoral research experience on October 1, 2016;
- candidates are required to have excellent research experience in the indicated research field, substantiated with the doctoral thesis and recent outstanding publications in national and international peer-reviewed scientific journals and books;
- candidates should possess the necessary didactic skills to develop students’ academic competence;
- experience in conducting research and/or supervising doctoral theses is considered an asset;
- positively evaluated experience with provided and/or organised academic education is considered an asset;
- professionalization of education is considered an asset;
- candidates should have experience in international mobility through participation in research programs at research institutions other than the university where the highest degree was attained.
The application must be accompanied by the following documents:
- an outline (max. 1,500 words) of the candidate’s view on research, education and scientific services in relation to this vacancy;
- the required transcripts (copies of the qualifications);
- a portfolio containing additional information on the candidate’s own teaching competences.
The selection is carried out in two stages:
- candidates will be shortlisted on the basis of their CV, publications and outline. All shortlisted candidates will be invited for a trial lesson and an interview;
- based on the collated information, a decision will be made as to if and how each candidate will be ranked.
A full-time position in the rank of assistant professor is a temporary Tenure Track appointment of five years, after which a tenure decision will be made, based on an overall evaluation. A positive evaluation will lead to a permanent appointment in the rank of associate professor.
Exceptionally, candidates employed as professorial staff or an equivalent thereof at another university or research institute can immediately be appointed in the rank of assistant professor, without prejudice to the possibility of a temporary appointment as provided by article 91 of the university decree.
Candidates are required to attend the compulsory basic teacher training.
In support of the language of instruction, Ghent University provides non-mandatory Dutch and English language courses for non-native speaking professorial staff.
For further information about this vacancy, applicants are welcome to contact prof. Eric Vanhaute (eric.vanhaute@UGent.be) or tel +32 (0)9 331 02 82.
How to apply
Applications must be sent no later than March 30, 2016 by e-mail to
firstname.lastname@example.org, using the application form for BOF-ZAP positions. The submission includes copies of the applicant’s diplomas and a research plan for a period of five years (in English, minimum 3 pages, maximum 5 pages; add a one-page summary in English). All documents are submitted together in one attachment. Please indicate clearly the name of the vacant position, department and reference number BC20160219 rural history. Candidates will receive an e-mail confirming receipt of the application.
The BOF-ZAP application form is available through the following link:
Source : Universiteit Gent