Titus Brandsma Institute
Maximum salary: € 5,513 gross/month
Vacancy number: 10.03.18
Application deadline: 20 November 2018
As a researcher you will be contributing to the Mysticism & Devotio Moderna project and investigate a specific aspect of the influence of the late medieval Devotio Moderna on the mystical and spiritual traditions in the modern and contemporary eras (17th – 20th century). Though not being explicitly mystical itself, the Devotio Moderna had a significant impact on the variety of later mystical and spiritual discourses. This also goes for a considerable part of 19th and 20th century artistic poetics. You will work towards a scientific book publication about a specific topic within that field of research.
Please add to your application letter a short description (350 words) of the research project you plan to realise at the Titus Brandsma Institute. You will not only conduct research. Education will also be part of your remit. Education in various forms: developing and participating in university courses, chair reading groups, and in-company courses, all initiated and founded on the basis of your expertise and research.
Mission statement: The academic study of spirituality in the light of the Judeo-Christian tradition past and present, in service of church and society. The Titus Brandsma Institute was established in 1968 as a collaborative venture between Radboud University, the city of Nijmegen and the Dutch Carmel Province in memory of Dr Titus Brandsma (1881-1942) O.Carm. The Institute is an independent, non-profit organisation embedded in the structures of Radboud University. With a view to promoting education and research in spirituality, the Institute has a collaborative working agreement with the Faculty of Philosophy, Theology and Religious Studies at Radboud University.
What we expect from you
- a PhD in Theology, Philosophy, Religious Studies, History or Arts;
- Demonstrable familiarity with mystical studies and the Devotio Moderna;
- Demonstrable professional experience in organising scientific conferences, and editing scientific publications;
- Demonstrable professional experience in interdisciplinary research;
- Demonstrable professional experience in teaching, also for a non-academic audience;
- Fluency in spoken and written English and Dutch;
- Fluency in written German and French;
- Knowledge of Latin is an asset.
- Innovative research mentality;
- Analytical skills;
- Networking skills;
- Team spirit.
What we have to offer
- employment: 0.5 FTE;
- a maximum gross monthly salary of € 5,513 based on a 38-hour working week (salary scale 12);
- in addition to the salary: an 8% holiday allowance and an 8.3% end-of-year bonus;
- duration of the contract: 4 year.
The Titus Brandsma Institute is an independent non-profit foundation and follows, where possible, Radboud University’s collective labour agreement. New staff members join the PFZW pension scheme.
Would you like to know more?
Further information on: Titus Brandsma Instituut
For more information about this vacancy, please contact:
Dr. M.A.B.M. de Kesel, managing director
Telephone: +31 24 361 10 22
Prof. Dr. I.M.K. Bocken, director of research
Telephone: +31 24 361 24 28
Are you interested?
You should upload your application (attn. of dr. M.A.B.M. de Kesel) exclusively using the button ‘Apply’ below. Your application should include (and be limited to) the following attachment(s):
- Motivation letter
- Short description (350 words) of the research project you plan to realise at the Titus Brandsma Institute
The first round of interviews will take place on 10 December 2018
Source : Radboud Universiteit