University of Évora, Portugal, 24-25 May 2018
The Call For Papers is now open for the International Conference “Encounters, Rights, and Sovereignty in the Iberian empires, 15th-19th centuries”. Focused on the colonial encounters fostered by the Iberian empire-building processes and on the strategies developed to regulate the rights and lives of native and colonial populations, this conference welcomes proposals that privilege the comparisons and interactions between the Portuguese and Spanish colonizing dynamics, in a timeframe spanning from the early stages of the Iberian colonization to the first outbreaks of independence.
Topics may include, but are not limited to: Colonization models and empire-building strategies; Representations of native populations; Race relations and debates on race; Juridical regulations of colonial interactions; Colonial origins of human rights; Integration/ exclusion of native populations within colonial societies; Missionaries as political and cultural brokers; Active and passive dynamics of resistance; Political communication and circulation of information; Trade and commercial interactions; Portuguese and Spanish written cultures regarding colonial endeavours; Scales of power: centres versus peripheries; Violence and justice; Borders and frontiers (more information on the attached PDF).
Keynote Speaker: Professor António Manuel Hespanha (Universidade Nova de Lisboa)
- Deadline for the submission of panel and paper proposals: 10 February 2018
- Communication of accepted panels and papers: 20 February 2018
- Registration deadline: 31 March 2018
- Deadline for pre-circulation of papers (2,000-10,000 words): 10 May 2018
A selection of papers will be published in an edited volume.
Deadline for revised manuscript submission: 15 September 2018.
Proposals submission – instructions:
1. Register on https://sge.uevora.pt – after registering you will receive a confirmation email to activate your registration.
2. Login on https://sge.uevora.pt and access the link https://sge.uevora.pt/eventos/ver/428.
3. Select the option “Register” on the right (this is a pre-registration only to allow you to submit your proposal; you can confirm your registration on a later stage, after the acceptance of your proposal).
4. Select “Submit abstract” on the right.
Panel and paper proposals are accepted in Portuguese, Spanish and English.
Paper proposals should include contact details, title, and abstract (c. 300 words).
Panel proposals should include 3 or 4 papers, titles and abstracts (c. 600 words).
For enquiries, please contact us at: email@example.com
Scientific Committee: Graça Almeida Borges (CIDEHUS, University of Évora); Mafalda Soares da Cunha (CIDEHUS, University of Évora); José Vicente Serrão (CIES, ISCTE-IUL); Pedro Cardim (CHAM, FCSH-UNL).
Organizing Committee: Graça Almeida Borges (Chair); Bruno Lopes (CIDEHUS, University of Évora); Leonor Garcia (CIDEHUS, University of Évora).