The Ruusbroec Institute, affiliated research institute of the Faculty of Arts (University of Antwerp), is seeking to fill the following part-time (70%) vacancy:
Tenured Academic Staff in the area of History of Spirituality in the Low Countries in the Medieval and Early Modern periods
The assignment has a structural character in the three core activities of the tenured academic staff: teaching, research, and services.
- You will expand the scientific research in the area of the history of spirituality in the Low Countries in the medieval and early modern periods. You will acquire and manage external funding (national and international). Research that may entail a scholarly valorisation of the heritage collection of the Ruusbroec Institute Library will be considered as an asset.
- You will be assigned lecturing duties in the field of culture and religion, or in related areas.
- You will offer scientific services. Among others, you take part in editorial activities for the journal Ons Geestelijk Erf. Journal for the History of Spirituality in the Low Countries and take up administrative duties. You engage in valorisation activities of the Ruusbroec Institute Library as well as in science communication on topics related to the research field of the Ruusbroec Institute.
- You will contribute to the regional, national and international visibility of the Ruusbroec Institute.
Profile and requirements
- You hold a doctorate degree (PhD) in a subject relevant to the Ruusbroec Institute’s research field. You have proven expertise in the mystical tradition and/or the devotional culture of the Low Countries.
- You have several years of postdoctoral experience or equivalent.
- You have teaching experience at an academic level; you have experience in the supervision of BA/MA theses.
- The focus in your teaching corresponds to the educational vision of the university.
- Your academic qualities comply with the requirements stipulated in the university’s policy.
- You have leadership skills (or the potential to develop them).
- You are quality-oriented, conscientious, creative and cooperative.
- You have a passive knowledge of Dutch at the time of your employment.
- You meet the statutory language requirements for both the knowledge of the teaching language and the administrative language, Dutch. The University of Antwerp provides the necessary support.
- Knowledge of Latin and Middle Dutch is an asset.
- either a part-time position with a structural assignment as a lecturer, in a temporary appointment in the tenure track for a term of five years. This position will lead to an immediate permanent appointment as a senior lecturer if the performance is assessed favourably on the basis of previously fixed and publicly announced evaluation criteria;
- or a part-time position with a structural assignment as a senior lecturer or higher, generally entailing a permanent appointment. In the case of a first appointment to the corps of academic personnel (ZAP), the university board may proceed to a temporary appointment for a period not exceeding three years. This position will lead to a permanent appointment if the performance is assessed favourably;
- the date of appointment will be 1 October 2018;
- a full time gross monthly salary ranging for a lecturer from € 4.171,55 – € 6.149,03 and for a senior lecturer from € 4.776,98 – € 7.504,57;
- a dynamic and stimulating work environment.
How to apply?
- Applications may only be submitted online, until the closing date 2 April 2018. Complete applications must be accompanied by a motivational letter (max. 1000 words) and a research plan for the next 5 years (max. 2250 words) in Dutch or English.
- A pre-selection will be made from amongst the submitted applications. The remainder of the selection procedure is specific to the position and will be determined by the selection panel.
- The interviews of the candidates, preselected by a selection panel, will take place on 15 May 2018.
- More information about the application form can be obtained from email@example.com.
- For questions about the profile and the description of duties, please contact Prof. Veerle Fraeters, + 32 3 2655782, firstname.lastname@example.org.
The University of Antwerp is a family friendly organization, with a focus on equal opportunities and diversity. Our HR-policy for researchers was awarded by the European Commission with the quality label HR Excellence in research.
We support the Science4Refugees initiative and encourage asylum-seeking, refugee scientists and researchers to apply for a job at the University of Antwerp.
Source : Academic Positions